Stretching North to South some 600km - the same distance from Auckland to Wellington - the West Coast of the Southern Alps, New Zealand is a long, thin piece of paradise no wider than 70km at any one point.
The wild Tasman Sea pounds its coastline on one side while the Southern Alps provide a stunning mountain backdrop on the other. The vast coastline of the West Coast offers a wide range of opportunities for walks, activities, wildlife viewing and good old relaxation.
Coastal exploration on the West Coast is suitable for the whole family and offers a wide variety of coastal activities. Here is a list of just some of the great things you can experience along the West Coast.
- Beachcombing - There is something so special about walking a beach. Search for pounamu or just enjoy a stunning sunset.
- Coastal Walks - The West Coast has a huge array of coastal walks available.
- Fishing - Surfcasting or fishing from a boat out to sea is a great way to have some fun as well as hopefully get your dinner.
- Wildlife viewing - Many animals make their home on the coast including penguins, dolphins and NZ fur seals.
- Golf - From Punakaiki's Pancake Rocks to the NZ fur seal colony at Tauranga Bay there are numerous natural wonders along the coastline.
- National Parks & Natural Wonders - Kahurangi, Paparoa and Westland Tai Poutini all have coastlines within their boundaries.
- Coastal towns - Discover the personality of the West Coast’s coastal towns - Hokitika in the central area and Jackson Bay in the South.